Still not sure that our vehicle safety inspections are worthwhile? You just might change your mind when you see everything the safety check includes here in Virginia:
- Inspect brakes for worn, damaged or missing parts including pads, rotors, linings & drums; also inspect system for leakage and confirm proper fluid level.
- Inspect parking brakes for broken or missing parts; also confirm proper adjustment.
- Inspect headlights for condition of lamps, lenses, wiring, and switch; also confirm approved type, aim, and output – including high beams.
- Inspect additional lights for condition of lamps, lenses, wiring, and switch; also confirm aim of fog or driving lamps; confirm illumination of safety lamps as well as proper lens color.
- Inspect signal lights for approved type, proper bulbs, and condition of lenses, wiring, and switch; confirm proper function; confirm illumination and proper lens color.
- Inspect steering & suspension for wear in bushings, kingpins, ball joints, wheel bearings and tie rod ends; for looseness of gear box on frame, condition of drag link and steering arm; for play in steering wheel; for leakage of power steering fluid in the system; wheel & axle alignment; for broken coil springs, spring leaves, and worn shackles; shock absorbers; for broken or weakened frame; for broken or missing engine mounts.
- Inspect tires, wheels & rims for condition of tires including tread depth; for mixing radials and bias ply tires; for wheels that are cracked or damaged so as to affect safe operation.
- Inspect mirrors for rigidity of mounting and condition of reflecting surface; check for road visibility 200 feet to the rear; for trucks, confirm that mirrors extend at least halfway beyond edge of body.
- Inspect horn for condition of electrical connections, mounting and horn button; confirm that horn is audible for a minimum of 200 feet.
- Inspect windshield and other glass to confirm use of approved safety glass; inspect for cloudiness, distortion, or other obstruction to vision; for cracked, scratched, or broken glass; confirm any window film or graphics meet Virginia DMV standards
- Inspect windshield wiper & defroster to confirm operating condition and condition of wiper blades.
- Inspect exhaust systems including the exhaust line, manifold, gaskets, pipes, mufflers, and connections; inspect for leakage of gases at any point from engine to exit point.
- Inspect rear license plate to confirm proper illumination.
- Inspect hood area to confirm operating condition of hood latch; presence of emissions system; evidence that any essential parts have been removed, rendered inoperative, or disconnected; check brake and power steering fluid levels; confirm power steering belt tension, wear, or absence.
- Inspect air pollution control system to confirm Installation, and that no parts have been removed, disconnected or rendered inoperable; includes catalytic converter and the fuel tank filler pipe.
- Inspect driver’s seat to confirm that it is properly located and anchored, and in operating condition.
- Inspect seatbelts to confirm that they’re installed, of an approved type, and in operating condition.
- Inspect airbag system to confirm that the system is in place and is activated; confirm that the air bag indicator lights as intended, and does not fail to light or stay on continuously
- Inspect doors to left and left of driver to confirm that the handles will open the door from the outside and inside of the vehicle; confirm latching system which will hold door in its proper closed position.
- Inspect fuel system to confirm that parts are securely fastened; check for leakage; confirm presence of tank filler cap
- Inspect floor pan to confirm exhaust gases cannot enter occupant compartment or present any other type of hazard to the occupants.
Once your car has passed inspection, we’ll affix the approval sticker to your windshield. If your car doesn’t pass, any defects must be corrected – and your car must pass inspection – within 15 days.
Don’t worry – our full-service repair shops and expert mechanics have what it takes to correct any issue. If you’re due for a Virginia car safety inspection, call Aarrow Transmission today at 804-794-2400 (South Richmond-Midlothian) or 804-364-2500 (Glen Allen-Short Pump).